Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Patchwork Summer

I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. It was nice to have the extra day off but that isn't what the day is about as we all know. As a matter of fact, one of our hometown young men was killed in Iraq Friday. David Paul Lindsey is his name. He was only 20 years old. This was his Memorial Day. If you pray, please pray for his family. I cannot imagine....


I spent the weekend with family and friends...just flying around by the seat of my pants...and I loved every minute of it. I got a tad of sewing done, but not much. I began this late Friday night...



...and after getting into umpteen different things in my sewing room I finally began to crash about 2 a.m. I was so keyed up - wanting to sew, wanting to organize and fold fabric, wanting to makes lists of projects I'd like to do and those I've already started and put down. I don't know if I drank too much iced tea Friday or what, but I was surely wound up. And then.....BOOM! I was walking like a drunk woman. Thinking like a drunk woman. It hit like a ton of bricks. I uncovered my bed by moving the boxes of fabric I had pulled out. No reading necessary at 2 a.m. I closed my eyes and the next thing I knew it was 11 a.m. !!!! Yikes! I canNOT handle late nights anymore. And I miss that. I used to love staying up late and getting into all sorts of things. But age will nip that fun in the bud!


Saturday and Sunday were fun days. I was trying to forget what needed to be done at home and just enjoy myself. That's another thing I used to do when I was younger. Back then my mind would say "Forget what the house looks like. Forget you've only got (1) pair of clean shorts. Grab 'em and go girl." That way of thinking has changed through the years. I'd like to do some things on impulse again. Since I'm aware of it, maybe I can change a bit.

So yesterday I finally completed my project- a patchwork tote bag. A couple of the prints are from some of the .50 pillowcases I recently bought and the blue/white gingham is from an apron I bought at a yard sale for .25. The apron had several large stains that wouldn't wash out so I cut it up to salvage some of it. I love all of these colors. I can't help but see "Summer" when I look at it.




Summer - catching fireflies, sipping lemonade on the porch swing, swimming, keeping the picnic quilt by the door, grabbing some delicious smelling magnolia blossoms.....




6 comments:

Vallen said...

The bag says summer, no doubt about it.
I haven't seen 11 p.m. in longer than I care to say. And naps...now I take naps. What's up with that?

Momma Me said...

Hi Dinah!
I'm loving this post. You reminded me truly of the meaning of Mermorial Day - I think most of us are so numb to the events of our world that we forget there are real people out there putting their lives on the line every day.
Also on a lighter note - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your bag! And all those summery feelings you invoked - right now the humidity has returned so I'm sitting her feeling sticky but this is what I've been waiting for!

LeeAnn said...

Your bag turned out awesome. You are an excellent sewer. I see you added a little charm to the bag too. I really like that touch.

I am really enjoying this weather. Some people complain its getting hot and I just want to give them a nasty look and ask them if they remember Feb. Everything is growing well too. All of this makes me happy.

Jodi Ohl said...

Dinah-so sorry about your fallen hometown soldier, that is so sad, and he was so young. I can't imagine what the family is going through.

I love how enthusiastically you dive into your projects, staying up to 2 am planning, coordinating and doing. I'm with you on the age thing , though.....there was a day that I could do that several days in a row. Now, I'm a mess if I'm up that late!

Thank you for your sweet comments about my textile potential! I could only dream to be as good as those you mentioned! :)

hugs,

lucy

LeeAnn said...

Tag, your it! I just tagged you to share your lastest to-do list. :)

Sarah and Jack said...

The bag is cute!